The main changes that I am referring to saw the introduction of a different pricing structure for those interested in acquiring Long Tail Pro.
Long Tail Pro is an excellent keyword research tool and, as you have probably noticed, it is a tool that I refer to often on this blog. This is because it is a tool that I use on a daily basis. I have found it invaluable.
In fact, I love this tool.
This is the main reason that I have highly recommended it to my readers.
And I believe that the recent changes, implemented by the developer, promise continued improvement to the tool.
However, along with these change has come a shift in pricing plans so I want to point out your current options if you are keen to avail yourself of what Long Tail Pro Platinum now has to offer.
Long Tail Pro Versions
The owner of Long Tail Pro, Spencer Haws, has continually improved and enhanced the tool.
In fact, it is probably fair to say that Spencer has knocked the ball out of the park with this keyword research tool.
In the Long Tail Pro Review below, I had originally outlined all of the reasons why this is the tool that I use almost daily. I first wrote the review at the end of 2012. Now, all these months on, I am still using Long Tail Pro which is testament to its ongoing value for keyword research in my affiliate marketing campaigns.
The following is an updated review to reflect the considerable changes that have taken place since Long Tail Pro V3 and is based on my own long-time use of the tool.
A Long Tail Pro Review After Years of Continued Use
In this Long Tail Pro Review I outline why this is the tool that I use almost daily. I have looked at many a keyword research tool in the past but now, this is the one tool that I have open on my desktop all the time.
But first, let’s address a common question:
What Is a Long Tail Keyword?
I frequently come across the question:
What are long tail keywords?
Well, long tail keywords tend to be much more specific, reflecting a very focused search.
For example, “cat food” would not be considered a long tail keyword. It is far too generic. It enjoys lots of searches, 14,800 monthly searches at the time of this post update, but is way too competitive to be able to rank for it. And if someone is searching for “cat food” you don’t know if they are wanting to buy some or checking nutrition values or looking to buy food for allergic cats for example. Even on the off chance that you could rank for the phrase, it would be hit and miss that your site is providing what the potential customer is looking for.
On the other hand, if someone searches for “canned cat food”, 1,300 searches per month, then the phrase better reflects what they are really looking for. Usually the more long tail the keyword the fewer searches per month it receives. But, most importantly, it will usually come with less competition from other sites.
As you would expect, they typically consist of more words. I would never target a one-word keyword and probably never a two-word keyword phrase. I like to go for 3, 4, 5 and more words in the phrases I am targeting. They tend to narrow the search more specifically to the browser’s intention.
So, Why Long Tail Pro?
As mentioned, Long Tail Pro was created by Spencer Haws, an Internet marketer who has been making a living online for some time. The tool was ‘born’ out of Spencer’s own need for a faster keyword research tool that would allow him to do the type of analysis he wanted to do, in order to find long tail keywords for his sites.
When it comes to keyword research tools, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better tool for the price.
No, it is not a free long tail keyword tool. But it is an investment well worth making.
As mentioned in other posts, I have tended to combine a couple of different tools for my keyword research analysis as some tools are stronger in certain areas than others, but Long Tail Pro is now meeting most of my research requirements.
I always like to include a long tail keyword tool so that I can discover phrases that I might not have thought of before but phrases that are easier to rank for. The objective is to find keywords that have low competition so that you can hopefully rank higher in the search engine result pages and hopefully more quickly. Long Tail Pro is great for this.
I have always incorporated the free Google Keyword Research Tool (Keyword Planner) with one of my paid options; Keyword Planner because it is fast and provides a great starting point and the paid options in order to facilitate more in-depth analysis.
Keyword Planner is the best free keyword research tool that I have come across.
My paid tools generally provide me with more data than Google’s tool does at the moment, data such as in-depth keyword competitiveness. Long Tail Pro does all of this and more and now is faster than ever.
How to Use Long Tail Pro
- Start a New Project
- Decide on the keyword information you want in your results, from the drop down list in the top right corner.
- Click Find Keywords and add your seed keywords. Many other tools allow you to enter just 1 seed keyword.
- Click Generate Keywords & Fetch Data.
The tool will generate hundreds of related terms.It is very easy and very fast.
- Filter you results by entering parameters to the right of the little funnel symbol as shown below:
See how fast it is.
There are a number of filters that you can apply. For example:
- You might be interested in phrases with 3 or more words (usually more competitive than just 1 word searches). The tool allows you to do this in a snap.
- You can specify that you only want to see keywords with an exact search volume of more than 3,000 or some other figure that you choose.
- You can enter the minimum CPC (Cost Per Click) figure, useful if you are considering using Adsense to monetize your site.
Why I Like Long Tail Pro So Much
When using this tool, I was already writing a Long Tail Pro review in my head because of the nifty features that I wanted to pass on.
- I like the fact that when you hold your mouse above an option in the interface, you get a tool tip providing a brief summary of what that option does.
- This keyword research software saves me a lot of time!
- It is easy to toggle between the results and the settings page.
- I like the fact that it is a real keyword finder. In other words, I can enter a seed keyword, generate the results and receive a long list of related terms. You can of course specify that each of these terms includes a particular word; you can set up limitations such as keyword search volume and/or the word length etc..
- The keyword competition page is very fast.
- It doesn’t take very long to learn how to “drive it” and of course there are the instructional videos that you have access to.
- You get ongoing updates as part of the package.
- You can submit requests (wish list) for feature inclusion in future versions.
- There is a community of users so you can become part of this community when you start using the tool and thus see how others are using it and the results that they are enjoying.
- It is a tool that is being used by its developer so as he thinks of other features he would like to include, he can just shoot off another update and we all benefit from his tool-usage experience.
Let’s look at the features that i particularly like in Long Tail Pro V3:
- It is now even faster.
- Seed Keywords are now stored in the left window pane. Just click on a seed keyword to see all of the related keywords that were generated.
- There is an export facility so you can download your list of keywords into a spreadsheet for future use.
- You can now add individual keywords without generating related terms.
- The tool allows you to analyze competing sites that are in the top 10 results for any given keyword. The output is very comprehensive and includes data such as:
- page authority (very important)
- age of site
- page rank
- number of backlinks (via SEOmoz)
- number of links from educational sites (.edu)
- There is a Rank Checker that pops up from the bottom of the screen when selected.
You can enter your site’s URL and then keywords that you are trying to rank for and get data back on the position of each search term.
My Possible Wish List
As I have mentioned above there are just a couple of little tweaks I would like to see in future releases:
- At the moment, the Competition Module (which lists lots of information) does list the title that each site in the top 10 is using and bolds the words that match my seed keyword. However, I like to quickly count how many sites in the top 10 have not included the exact keyword in their title so a column dedicated to the title tag, with a summation at the bottom , would assist me greatly.
- In the new version, I would like an option to change the font size. I realise that it has a lot of information to display but it would still be nice if font could be enlarged on some devices.
- I would love the inclusion of an option to use proxies when doing lots of searches.
When You Get Long Tail Pro
Once you have signed up for Long Tail Pro, you are provided with:
- The Long Tail Pro download link and installation instructions
- Access to instructional videos that take you step by step through its various features. Each Long Tail Pro tutorial is very easy to follow.
The videos cover
- How to set up a new project
- How to use the include/exclude keywords feature
- How to get additional data
- Global search volume
- Domain information
- Title competition
- How to use filters & defaults
- How to read the keyword results
- How to use the competitor analysis feature
- How to find low competition keywords using the competitor analysis
- How to use the rank checker
- Ongoing updates.
Long Tail Pro vs Market Samurai
This is a question that crops up frequently. Having used both of these tools, I am reasonably positioned to provide an answer.
- Market Samurai has a number of modules and can be said to be more complex. It probably has a steeper learning curve.
- In each case, you can access tutorial videos.
- The difference that has the biggest impact on my use of these tools is speed. I find Long Tail Pro very fast in returning its results. This is one of the main reasons that I am now using Long Tail Pro much more frequently than I use Market Samurai.
- And I like the fact that all of Long Tail Pro’s results come from Google.
So What Has Changed?
It used to be a one-off payment for Long Tail Pro and if you happened to have made your purchase way back then, not a lot will have changed for you. You will still get updates. You still have the option to upgrade at any time. We are told that this one-off-payment version will continue to be supported.
But, if you are yet to invest in the tool, then you can no longer access a one-off payment version. Instead, Long Tail Pro Platinum is the version offered to new customers and the Platinum version is offered on a monthly subscription basis or on a yearly subscription basis.
Long Tail Pro Platinum
So now we have Long Tail Pro Platinum. There are additional videos that help you get started with the all powerful Platinum version of Long Tail Pro:
- How to import multiple keywords
- How to work with favorites
- How to use avg KC (average Keyword Competitiveness)
- Understanding the average Keyword Competitiveness score (your avg KC score)
My 2 Cents Worth
At first, I thought I could do all of my keyword research with free tools and spent many, many hours looking for the best free tool that would do everything I wanted. But free is free which means that there is usually some value provided by these tools but they invariably come with limitations.
Of all the free tools I have tried, the one that I continue to use is Google’s Keyword Planner but, as mentioned, it doesn’t give me everything that I need, particularly with respect to competition.
So, after becoming very frustrated with how long my keyword research was taking me, I decided to invest in Spencer Haw’s Long Tail Pro keyword research software. And the word “investment” probably sums it up the best; it is an investment that has saved me a lot of time and a tool that I continue to use almost daily.
In fact, you can see how I used it, and continue to use it, for a niche site created some time ago. When first setting up this particular niche site, I made a number of errors in my initial keyword research. You can see how I started to salvage this site with the help of Long Tail Pro in particular.
But best of all, I was able to check competition using Long Tail Pro and then proceed to rank a keyword on page 1 of Google.
I have been reading Spencer’s blog for some time now, definitely enough time to know that he is the real deal. I like how he is very transparent about his experiences online and I like the fact that this is a tool that he developed for his own needs.
Now that you have read this Long Tail Pro review, let me know your own opinion of it if you decide to invest in the Platinum version.