Don’t get me wrong, I think Aweber is a very versatile email marketing platform. It is loved and used by bloggers the world over. However, if you are just starting out, you might prefer a cheaper option. So if you already have an account with Aweber but prefer to reduce your monthly spend then this post can guide you through the process of moving any subscribers you currently have to the free version of MailerLite.
Steps Inside Your Aweber Account
- Login to Aweber
- If your list has any unsubscribes or any email address that have bounced, remove these from the list before proceeding to export the list. You can do this via Subscribers-Manage Subscribers. You can then filter out the Unsubscribed and Undeliverable
- Once you have your list of currectly active subscribers, you can then proceed to export the data: From the top menu options, click on Manage Lists
- Now you will see an option to Backup & Export All Active Lists. Click on this
- Now you will see a popup that prompts for an email address (will display the default) so that you can receive a downloadable zip file of the backup.
- Within minutes you should receive an email from Aweber that contains a link to the back up of your list subscribers.
- Unzip your backup. If you backed up more than one list, you will see a folder for each list. You can then go ahead and select the list that you are wanting to move to MailerLite.
Steps Inside Your MailerLite Account
- Login to MailerLite
- If you haven’t set up a list yet, go ahead and follow the prompts in your MailerLite account.
Once you have set up your subscriber list inside MailerLite, you are ready to start importing your exported list.
- Click on the MailerLite menu in top right hand corner.
- Select Subscribers.
- Click on the name of your subscriber list.
- Click on Add New Subscribers.
- Now you can either drag and drop your csv file OR select if from a folder on your computer.
- You will then be prompted to Match the file columns with your subscriber list fields…
This is simply allowing you to make sure that the column headings in each list (the exported and the MailerLite list) match.
At first, this might look a little daunting. But as you work your way down, you will find it easier to follow. The column headings that you don’t need can just be skipped. If you are importing useful information from the exported list, you can create a new field to hold this information if it doesn’t already exist in your MailerLite list.
- Click on Finish Adding Subscribers
How easy is that!!!
Now you can start exploring the various options available to you on the MailerLite site. You can very easily create your subscirber form and add a lead magnet that you have created.